Thursday, June 22, 2017

Review of Working out the Kinks by Misha Horne



4 stars


Mistakes aren't supposed to feel this good...

I learned early on that pretty much everything in life is a scam, and love's at the top of the list. Easy to fake, maximum payout, and people just never stop falling for it. Watching my mom break hearts and empty bank accounts as we bounced from house to house taught me just how dangerous feelings could be. That's a whole lot of hassle I don't need.

These days, I stick to three basic rules. I don’t take something just because I want it. I don’t ask for help, even if I need it. And I never look twice at a guy who has a bigger bank account than I do. I know where those things can get you, and it's not anywhere I need to go. I’m perfectly happy being a dive bar rock star who can barely pay his rent, chasing the dream until my time or my sanity runs out. At least, I thought I was.

Until Brett showed up.

Another thing I don’t do is think about the past. All the people I can never look in the eye again. Who know just how ugly I really am deep down. The last person I need to get mixed up with is someone on that list. The last person I need to go breaking all my rules for is the cocky, spoiled brat who used to sleep in the room across the hall.

No matter how gorgeous he is now.
No matter how filthy he is in bed.
No matter how good it feels when he says all he wants in the world is me
.

Just like the title, so many kinks, but so so so so good!

Failing rock-Star Landon has so many rules for himself, to keep himself from following gin his con-artist mother’s footsteps.  He keeps himself on the bare minimum, of living, loving, and becoming successful, and he is fine with his little life the way it is.  But, when a person from his past wants his future, his rules don’t seem to matter much.  Brett is a spoiled rich-boy taking a break from his life and wanted to re-connect with the man of his youth and current day dreams.

We really really enjoyed “Working out the Kinks”, it is so layered and so very well written.  The first person narrative from Landon creates a flow to the story, and really lets the reader understand his hang-ups about his mother and money.   Landon is an odd fellow, but we quickly fell in love with his quirks.  Brett helps him see that all that he is punishing himself for isn’t really his to accept responsibility for.  They both are floating along, struggling with living, but give each other roots to be who they need to be. 

This book is hot, steamy and kinky.  We haven’t been much fans of spanking, but it works so well between these men, and it is SO hot.  They have such chemistry that Landon tried to deny, but they have such a fun banter and they shares so much vulnerability.  They are such different men, but work so well together.  Landon needs someone who fights for him, to convince him that he is worth something and Brett gives him that.  Now, SPOILER, Brett and Landon were actually step-bothers for 2 years in their teens.  It adds so much to the story, to the layers of their relationship.  We were honestly worried it would be creepy, but just the opposite.

Working out the Kinks is a fast paced, hot, sweaty twisted, kinky read, and we are so glad we meet Landon and Brett.  

No comments:

Post a Comment