Monday, June 26, 2017

Review of Rescue Me (Heathens Ink #1) by K.M. Neuhold




4 stars

“Your life can change in an instant”~ Madden
I never thought a night out could change everything. All I wanted was to dance, drink, maybe take a cute guy home for a night of fun. I met the guy, but the night ended as a nightmare. Screams, and blood, and tragedy haunt my dreams. I'm alive and I owe it all to the gorgeous marine who refused to leave me for dead. But how can I start a new relationship when I'm not even sure who I am anymore?

“I'll always save you” ~Thane
After a long work week all I wanted was to let my hair down and to meet a nice guy. When I laid eyes on the gorgeous, tattooed man at the bar, I had to have him. I never would have thought the night could end in such horror. I saved his life, and I swear I'll save him as many times as I have to. Even if it means saving him from himself.


So so so so so so SO good!  This is our first KM Neuhold book and we can’t quite figure out why! Rescue Me takes the horror of being at the wrong place and the wrong time and shows the reader what it takes to move past a traumatic evet and hopefully fall in love.

Thane is a hot firefighter, gay, but deep in the closet.  He likes his life simple, work and play and keep them that way.  He is an ex-military man that struggles with his sexuality and how the people in his life will react to who he really is.  But, he wants to forget all that and hook-up, just some fun.  Out at a gay club he meets Madden, a smart sexy tattooed man and the sparks are instant.  But when a traumatic event that night at the club, Madden is unsure of how to put himself back together, let alone start a relationship with his rescuer.

Rescue Me  is a book with some heavy themes; anti-LGBTQ shooting, suicide, teen runaways, coming out of the closet, and at some points it feels too heavy, but KM Neuhold pushed through and you are aching for a happy ending for these men.  We are always fascinated by how people meet and fall in love, and this book is exactly that.  Madden and Thane meet, and although there are all these barriers in their way they struggle to make it work for each other. 

But this book isn’t just about struggle; it is hot as all get-out!  Come on a Fireman and a Tattoo artist, hot all on their own, but together the chemistry is electric. There is a need, pull, want between Thane and Madden that is undeniable, and the push pull of their relationship flames the fires that kept us turning the pages. 

Rescue Me is the first in the Heathens Ink Series (spoiler: we already devoured the 2nd installment of the series), and is set amongst a rag-tag group of friends who are all tattoo artists.  KM Neuhold defines each character with individual personalities and has set up their first book as a great teaser for the rest of the series. 

Rescue me was a surprise hit for us.  Really there are so many hurt/conform books out there, but this one really made us believe and hope for these men to heal to be together.  Pick up this series and we are sure you won’t be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment