Friday, November 3, 2017

Review of Shattered Pieces (Heathens Ink Novel #4) by K.M. Neuhold




4.5 stars


“I was sure my heart had withered away years ago, but then you smiled at me, and I felt it beat again.” ~Gage
Years ago, I fell in love with my best friend’s little brother. Then, he took his own life, leaving me shattered and unable to piece my heart back together. I’ve been a zombie for nine long years. Until a crazy, gorgeous man walked into Heathens Ink and injected color back into my world of gray. No matter how hard I try to resist Beck, he just won’t give up on me. I would need steel willpower to withstand his gorgeous long legs in those high heels and his drawer full of lacy lingerie. But is this just a kinky hook up or does it have the possibility for more?

“We’re both broken, but our jagged edges fit together well” ~ Beck
When you’re half of a whole you never contemplate what life would be like without your matching piece. Since my twin sister, Brianna, died last year, nothing I do seems to quiet my soul. I know there has to be some way for me to feel happy and whole again. And, when I look into the pained eyes of the tattoo artist at Heathens Ink, I feel like I have a purpose. I can’t explain it, but I feel like I have to find a way to put him back together.

We have been anxious waiting for book #4 in the Heathens Ink Series, and Shattered Pieces does not rest of the fantastic-ness of the previous books.  It delivers another stunning story of mending broken souls.  Shattered Pieces is not a light fluffy story, if you know anything of Gage’s story he is a shattered shell of a man, grieving 10 years after the loss of a loved one, there are times that we grieved, raged and hurt with Gage.  It is not easy, but so rewarding.


What did we love? (so so so many things!)
-                      Dealing with Loss:  We really appreciate that K.M. Neuhold tacked Gage dealing with Jay, his first love.  Sometimes other books with this trope just rush over grief when a new love interest appears, but Shattered Pieces really deal with the grief, even years later of loving someone who is gone.  It is heartbreaking to see Gage struggle, but adds so much to his story.
-                      Dual POV:  We love a dual POV!  And this one is done so well, there wasn’t a time that we had to flip back to figure out who was speaking.  The character both have such unique voices, it was a please to be inside their heads.
-                      Beck:  Yes, we loved a character.  Beck is bright sunshine, full of life and was a ray of hope in this book.  And his mannies, so hot!
-                      Between the Sheets:  K.M. Neuhold can create some serious steam between the sheets, and Shattered Pieces is amazing.  There is a chemistry between Beck and Gage that started in the last book, and you feel the connection between these men. 

What didn’t we love?
-          Friends:  this didn’t take away from the book, but we needed more of the other Heathens Ink boys.  We love all the other characters and we miss them – give us more!

Shattered Pieces is a wonderful book, but not an easy read.  Being #4 in the series, you do need to read the whole series to get the most enjoyment form Beck and Gage.  Many books skirt with the true feelings of grief and loss, but Shattered Pieces is true to Gage and honors his feelings.  And like finishing the last book, we need more of the Heathens Ink boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment